Job Opportunity: Public Affairs Officer
Public Affairs Officer - Full Time - Leiden, Netherlands
About the job
Established in February 2022, Dimeta is a joint venture between SHV Energy and UGI International. The JV was established to advance the production and use of renewable and recycled carbon Dimethyl Ether (DME), a low-carbon sustainable liquid gas, which will accelerate the LPG Industry’s transition to Net Zero.
Dimeta develops DME production plants in Europe and the United States, with the first in the United Kingdom. Located in Teesside, the plant will take waste and convert it into 50kt of sustainable DME per year from 2025 onwards.
Working closely with the Head of Advocacy & Communications, the Public Affairs Officer will support the delivery of Dimeta’s public affairs strategy, promoting policy positions with key stakeholders and leading on consultations, horizon scanning and policy analysis across key markets, in particular the EU Institutions.
In addition to building relationships with political and industry stakeholders, the Public Affairs Officer will represent the company at trade association meetings and relevant policy events, which will require excellent interpersonal, verbal and presentation skills.
The role also requires the ability to synthesize relevant policy proposals and understand their nuances and likely impact on Dimeta and the future LPG market. Excellent writing skills and high attention to detail are critical for preparing consultation responses, stakeholder letters and both internal and external briefings.
This role requires flexibility to travel, particularly to Brussels.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Work with the Head of Advocacy & Communications to deliver and develop Public Affairs Strategies to further the aims and objectives of Dimeta
- Help develop and maintain effective public affairs contacts in parliament, government and other stakeholders across key markets
- Monitor relevant consultations and lead responses, working with the wider team to collate feedback
- Monitor political environment and feedback timely intelligence to all relevant internal stakeholders
- Track the progress of bills and other parliamentary activity in key markets
- Prepare high-quality briefing materials and policy papers, for internal and external audiences
- Support the Head of Advocacy & Communications in engagement with external agencies enrolled to deliver public affairs or research related activities including local and regional trade associations.
- Represent the organisation at relevant trade association meetings, participate in and present at industry related policy events
- Carry out any other duties and projects appropriate to the post as required by the Head of Advocacy & Communications
- Working alongside the Communications Officer to prepare and produce high quality materials for use in role
As such we would like you to be/have:
• An education in politics, communications or relevant field
• At least 3-5 years’ experience in public affairs or policy
• Excellent communications skills, both written, visual and oral
• Demonstratable experience of building relationships with political stakeholders
• Experience of writing clear, concise and persuasive copy for a range of audiences
• Sound knowledge of the workings and procedures of EU Institutions
• Track record of implementing public affairs strategies and influencing political stakeholders
• Sound analytical and fact-finding skills, and ability to identify and understand key issues particularly those relating to the environment and sustainability
• A persuasive and diplomatic manner to build clear, evidence-based arguments, about complex issues
• Excellent interpersonal skills, remaining resilient and calm under pressure, especially when dealing with conflicting view points
• Strong attention to detail and excellent planning skills, ensuring the highest levels of quality are achieved to time and budget
• Ability to work independently and flexibly within a rapidly changing environment whilst maintaining lines of communications with other key functions
• Comfortable with collaboration across teams and to serve as a liaison when needed
• Ability and willingness to travel to for meetings and events, both in and outside of Europe
• Experience of working for an EU related body, Parliamentarian or NGO
• Professional public affairs qualification
• Experience in the energy sector
• Experience of working for a company with markets in various geographies
• French language skills
• Knowledge of Sustainability/environmental legislation and policies
What we offer:
• A competitive salary with a good bonus structure
• An opportunity to join a growing team in an exciting start up in the area of the Energy Transition
• Truly get the opportunity to work in a broad range of activities and make an impact on the projects you will be involved in
• An office located right next to the Leiden station with great facilities and an open work plan
We look forward to hearing from you!
Deadline for applications is the 21st July 2023.
Please apply here: https://shvenergy.recruitee.com/o/public-affairs-officer
To be considered for the above opportunity you must be eligible to live and work in the EU.
Dimeta adhere to ethical recruiting methods ensuring that we do not discriminate against any candidate because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Recruitment agency? Thank you for your interest, but we are sourcing all our candidates directly or via our preferred suppliers. We appreciate you trying but please keep in mind that any unsolicited profiles you send us will be treated as direct applications from the candidates.